Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sea Otter, 2008

I’ll be honest; I was skeptical about Sea Otter this year. For whatever reason Sea Otter always kicks my ass. I usually come in on Thursday, practice downhill and dual slalom, help set up the tent then stay way too long every day between practices, booth duties, hanging out, visiting all the while getting more and more tired and dehydrated. By the time Sunday rolls around I’m exhausted and still have to race. Every year I swear I will not repeat this cycle, but every year I fall into the same trap. After the $90 gouging per event I was determined that this year would be different! This year I would race only the downhill.

Actually, nearly everything was different this year, and the best part of that was having ¾ of the Velo Bella pro downhill team racing together.

Friday morning Kimber Connie and I rolled into Laguna Seca for the first ever Sea Otter Downhill Velo Bella invasion. We took a run down the course together and regrouped at the bottom after a great run. Personally, my goal was to conquer some demons that have been haunting me on this course from about 2005. First, I have always run a small travel bike. This year I rode my downhill bike, which, although slow and heavy on the upper rhythm and pedals sections, gave me the confidence to gap that damndable log-sandpit thing mid run. Next issue, the 20’ step down towards the bottom. No problem. Turns out that this is also a wall ride, which sets you up perfectly for the berms at the bottom.
This years results were ok considering that the field was pretty stacked. 20th out of an international field, 10th American. I know I could have bumped myself up a couple places if I had actually used the things my feet were attached to. For whatever reason I didn’t pedal on the flats. Lesson learned: Practice the hard stuff, but also concentrate on practice pedaling sections equally.

I had such a great time with our downhill girls. Everyone did well and had a great time riding, putting curly ribbons in our hair and just generally goofing around. I have to say, that was the first time I’ve raced with blue and pink ponytail streamers. If only Sara could have made it. Next time, I guess.

A note on one of our mechanics. Ralph was amazing. Sunday, he ran between the downhill and the cross country to make sure everyone had what they needed. Every other day beforehand he was a flurry of hands grabbing and running through bikes for all categories of Velo Bella racers. I think that’s the best part of this team is that all of the members are valued. It’s not all about standings or category or place, it’s about everyone doing their best at whatever level they achieve to be while having one hell of a good time getting there, and being grateful for the support and attention we do get. We also get to meet some incredible friends along the way.